Solar Irrigation Pump
A solar irrigation pump is a pump running on electricity generated by photovoltaic panels. The operation of solar-powered irrigation pumps is more economical, mainly due to the lower operation and maintenance costs, and has less environmental impact. Solar pumps are especially useful where grid electricity is unavailable.
Benefit for the User
- No need for diesel or grid electricity
- Low operation & maintenance cost
- Able to cultivate 3 crops/year
- 20-25 farmers could share one system
- Multiple-use possible (ie, including combination with light or battery charger)
Contribution to Climate Change Mitigation:
There are 1.34 million diesel pumps and 2,70,000 electric-run pumps used for irrigation. Every year, diesel pumps consume 1 million tons of diesel worth $900 million. This is a costly amount, which the government subsidizes at the expense of other agricultural innovations.
Solar irrigation technology makes use of clean, renewable energy possible; provides numerous environmental and financial benefits; and enables sustainable development even in the remotest pastures.
All agricultural field areas, but especially where irrigation is needed.
How to purchase:
Buy from IDCOL or partner organizations with soft-loan facilities along with subsidized prices.
BDT 5,00,000 (109,000 liter/day at 16m water head)
- Published by: CCDB Climate Center
- Author(s): Md. Ashrafuzzaman Khan